Monday, April 10, 2006

Scars for Christ

I attended KL Wesley third service (11.45 a.m.) yesterday. Rev. Andrew Tan preached from Isaiah 53: 4 - 6. Two things really struck me: firstly, on the Cross Jesus not only dealt with my sin but also bore the consequences of my sin! The message was about freedom; freedom that came as one looks at the Cross.

Secondly it was a poem that Rev. Andrew quoted. Amy Carmichael's, 'have you no scars?':

"Hast thou no scar?
No hidded scar on foot, or side or hand?
I hear thee psalm is mighty in the land.

I hear them hail thy bright ascendant star
Hast thou no scar?
Hast thou no wound?

Yet I was wounded my the archers spent
Leaned me against a tree to die
and rent by ravening beasts that compased me I swooned.
Hast thou not wound? No wound, no scar.

Yes says the master shall the servant be,
and pierced are the feet that follow me.
But thine are whole,
can he have followed far who has no wound, no scar?"

I must tell you that this poem struck me as if i got hit by a ton of bricks! The thoughts that ran through my mind is of the evidences that each of us should bear to prove that we are believes of Jesus. (i'm not talking about justification here) What evidences would there be to prove that we have paid the cost of commitment?

Often times i find myself complaining and grumbling before God for all the 'hardships' that i have to go through for His sake. How foolish of me to say such a thing when God has done so much more? I only need to look at the Cross and be reminded of the extend of His suffering for my sake.

2 Comments:

Blogger silentsoliloquy said...

Suffering.. the Way of the Cross... *nods* I understand a little better now...

6:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

onli by the grace of God can we take this path Soo Tian. The Lord's grace is sufficient for every situation

10:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

------------------------------