Article on Jeremiah School
‘These are my children. I love them and I am at work in their lives.’ I felt God was laying those words in my heart at the commissioning service of Jeremiah School 2006 which was held at Wesley Methodist Church in Kuantan. The school was well attended this time. We had forty youths and five full time Counselors (mentors). It was held from January 4 to February 26 with a break in between (January 26 – February 6) for Chinese New Year.
When I reflected on what has taken place at Jeremiah School this year, I am dumb founded. I am amazed once again to see the work of God in the lives of our young people. Managing a school of forty students has been a challenging task for us. We have seen many struggles taking place: relationship conflicts, disciplinary problems, physical limitations, painful experiences and so on. Furthermore, the depth of pain, isolation and struggles in the hearts of our young people has been tremendous.
Beneath all these struggles and difficulties, we also discover that there is a sincere desire and a deep longing for God in the lives of our young people. As Mentors, we are learning many valuable lessons from our youths. ‘Never judge a book by its cover’ as the saying goes was a lesson so true when it comes to working with our youths. Their sincere desire for God, their passionate pursuit for the things of God, their willingness to sacrifice are some reminders to us once again of how we should love God.
Personally, I have been ministered to deeply by this year’s Jeremiah School. At the foot washing ceremony one youth prayed for areas of my life that is in need of God’s touch and healing. Tears just flowed as I felt God’s presence and healing flowing through me.
Although many have gained much from Jeremiah School, I have discovered that those who come to the school with a willingness to learn and change have experienced great blessings. Upon a closer examination, I have discovered that this attitude of teachability is reflected on one’s ability to receive instruction and handle correction constructively. Even when we are so called ‘misunderstood’ or ‘misconstrued’ it is important to respond in an appropriate manner that reflects a deep faith and trust in a loving God who knows fully well our present situation. The good news is that for those who are willing to go ‘all the way’, God is able to work marvelous miracles in their lives. The greatest miracle is the transformation of one’s life!
There are many evidences of God’s work throughout the seven weeks. Here are some:
Acceptance of self and God’s view of one self
Healing of past hurts and experience of inner healing
Healing of broken relationship, resolve relationship conflicts, learning to live in a community
Experiencing forgiveness of sins and forgiving those who have sinned against us
Deliverance from bondages and evil spirits
Capturing a passion for the lost
Excitement in sharing the gospel
Establishment of spiritual disciplines
I guess there are many other areas that could be listed but I must say that the process of life transformation has begun. I want to thank God for the mentors who have loved our youths and laboured sacrificially. Dr. Herbert Tan, Chang Choy Quin, Rhema Rao and Grace Yong – your investment in the lives of these people have resulted in God’s name being glorified. Praise be to the Name of the Lord!
When I reflected on what has taken place at Jeremiah School this year, I am dumb founded. I am amazed once again to see the work of God in the lives of our young people. Managing a school of forty students has been a challenging task for us. We have seen many struggles taking place: relationship conflicts, disciplinary problems, physical limitations, painful experiences and so on. Furthermore, the depth of pain, isolation and struggles in the hearts of our young people has been tremendous.
Beneath all these struggles and difficulties, we also discover that there is a sincere desire and a deep longing for God in the lives of our young people. As Mentors, we are learning many valuable lessons from our youths. ‘Never judge a book by its cover’ as the saying goes was a lesson so true when it comes to working with our youths. Their sincere desire for God, their passionate pursuit for the things of God, their willingness to sacrifice are some reminders to us once again of how we should love God.
Personally, I have been ministered to deeply by this year’s Jeremiah School. At the foot washing ceremony one youth prayed for areas of my life that is in need of God’s touch and healing. Tears just flowed as I felt God’s presence and healing flowing through me.
Although many have gained much from Jeremiah School, I have discovered that those who come to the school with a willingness to learn and change have experienced great blessings. Upon a closer examination, I have discovered that this attitude of teachability is reflected on one’s ability to receive instruction and handle correction constructively. Even when we are so called ‘misunderstood’ or ‘misconstrued’ it is important to respond in an appropriate manner that reflects a deep faith and trust in a loving God who knows fully well our present situation. The good news is that for those who are willing to go ‘all the way’, God is able to work marvelous miracles in their lives. The greatest miracle is the transformation of one’s life!
There are many evidences of God’s work throughout the seven weeks. Here are some:
Acceptance of self and God’s view of one self
Healing of past hurts and experience of inner healing
Healing of broken relationship, resolve relationship conflicts, learning to live in a community
Experiencing forgiveness of sins and forgiving those who have sinned against us
Deliverance from bondages and evil spirits
Capturing a passion for the lost
Excitement in sharing the gospel
Establishment of spiritual disciplines
I guess there are many other areas that could be listed but I must say that the process of life transformation has begun. I want to thank God for the mentors who have loved our youths and laboured sacrificially. Dr. Herbert Tan, Chang Choy Quin, Rhema Rao and Grace Yong – your investment in the lives of these people have resulted in God’s name being glorified. Praise be to the Name of the Lord!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home