Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Visitation to Christ Meth. Church, Ampang

Visitation to Christ Methodist Church Ampang

Last Sunday we had the opportunity to visit the Youth Fellowship of Christ Methodist Church Ampang. I was asked to do a programme with the young people. After much prayer & preparation, I did something on ‘Managing the Storms of life’.

The programme started with Choy Quin leading the group in a simple ice breaker. It was fun & exciting. I began the session with a video clip, aiming at connecting to their present situation. It was very exciting to hear the youths speaking of their own experiences and situation. Then we looked into the bible to see how the disciple encountered the storm, and talked about their experiences. As a result of examining these two world views, we draw up lessons for application.

As I reflected on this experience, I realize it is important to consider how we go about teaching youths especially those who are second generation Christians. I believe the following are some principles that we need to utilize when we teach this people God’s Word:

  • Connection to the world of the students. This is so vital if we are going to be effective in communicating God’s Word. There must be a willing for us to get acquainted with the world that our youths live in.

  • Drawing them & immersing them to the world of the Bible. They need to see the relevance of God’s Word in the situation they are in

  • Giving tangible & workable application in which they can apply the Word of God in their daily life

I think once students are motivated, they will begin to participate and contribute in the lessons. I was so surprised when one of them asked the question, whether God is male or female. We actually looked into Genesis about God making us in His likeness, in response to this question.

  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

------------------------------