Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Sufiah Yusof's Story

I read the newspaper article today. And I have been following the story of Sufiah Yusof closely for the last one week. The first time I read about it, I cried in my heart.

This morning when I was reading the article, I thought through what she said. What struck me was her statement that "she wanted control over her life".

I pondered over all that she had written. A number of questions came into my mind. Let me share them with you:

I think we should not react in anger. There is a deeper struggle and a search for an answer. She thinks she has found her solution. Only God and time, will show her of how wrong such an answer can be because eventually it will destroy her. There is no running away from this, although, for the moment, she seems to find some solution (relief).

I asked myself:

1. Did she really found freedom? Is she really in control of her life?

2. What will be the long term effects of such a decision (of living this kind of life)?

3. What will happen when men will find her body no longer appealing and attractive?

4. She can earn tons of money, but will she really be able to enjoy it?

5. Is this the way where the real need of her life could be met? What is the real need, anyway?

I think, more than trying to convince others, to justify her own actions, she has to face herself and ask these questions. At the end, she has to live with the consequences of her decision. She might be doing all this to hit her parents, make them feel hurt for the way they have treated her, but isn't she destroying herself in the process?

One last question before I log off. I asked, what is real freedom? I guess, the real answer is found in Jesus. I mean, not just telling people, Jesus is the answer. That is too simplistic of an answer that may not help. But, as far as I see it, if there was no better person who lived on this earth than Jesus. He had total freedom. So may I ask you to think of the following question:

How did Jesus live out His life? What did being in control of his life actually meant for Him? I think it is only in answering this question that we find the real solution to Sufiah's problem. Let continue to keep this poor girl in prayer. She has been through a lot, and now more than ever she is truly lost. If only she can meet the Lord!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

------------------------------