Saturday, April 22, 2006

Full Time Ministry: Attraction to Ministry

Over the last few days I had a chance to meet and fellowship with some wonderful young Singapore Pastors. One of those I met was Allan, who serves at Pentecostal Methodist Church. Allan has been in ministry for about eight months now. Before graduating from Trinity Theological College, Allan was a Missionary for two years on board of Doulos Ship. I am amazed at the number of young pastors in Singapore TRAC. I asked Allan a question about what attracted him into the ‘full time ministry’. I had an interesting answer.

Among some answers that Allan gave one thing he said captured my attention. He said that most Singaporeans have a ‘good feel’ about Pastoral Ministry. When I asked him further what he meant by saying this, he told me that the Pastors whom he has met and interacted with in the past have good view / things to say about full time ministry.

For some time now I have been thinking about how to get people to be interested about the ministry and what would encourage young people to enter the ministry. You can say that this is one of the burdens in my life. I still believe that Pastors themselves are key factor in getting people into the ministry.

Allan’s answer has added another dimension to my initial belief. Yes, indeed Pastors themselves play an important role in challenging others into full time ministry. At the same time the Pastor’s own perception and conviction about the full time ministry is critical in challenging people into full time ministry.

If Pastors have a good view of ministry and they display this ‘outlook’ in their work, people will sense it and be attracted towards it. Otherwise, we will only end up repelling people away from the ministry.

I am not saying that therefore we should give a false sense of ministry, and paint a rosy picture about life in church. But we must show people that despite the difficulties, struggles and hardships in ministry, it is the very place where we can encounter the Presence of the living God. This is to me is the most attractive factor in fulltime ministry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

------------------------------